National
Trending

Uganda to Help Build Roads In Congo, Targeting Trade Benefits

Government said Tuesday it has committed to financing projects to surface over 200 kilometers of road in neighboring Congo as a way of boosting trade between the countries.
 
This will add up to 20% of Uganda’s contribution to the project, while the remaining 80% will be footed by the Congo Government, Works and Transport Minister Gen. Katumba Wamala said.
 
Such an arrangement is unheard of in a region where governments struggle to expand road networks within their borders.
 
“There is always a first time for everything,” Wamala said. “This is a joint project between the two countries and there is a very good reason for that.”
 
Uganda’s decision to cooperate with Congo comes amid a standoff with neighboring Rwanda, once a major export destination for grains and other produce.
Show More

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button
Close
Close